Undergraduate students graduate with a bachelor’s degree in nursing; graduate students earn master’s and doctoral degrees in nursing.
Commencement Quick Links
Event Points of Contact
Tropaia and Commencement
Contact Kylie Unger, firstname.lastname@example.org
Doctoral Hooding ceremony (DNP and DNAP students)
Contact Graduate Student Services, email@example.com
Contact Amanda Patterson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Blessing of the Hands
Contact Basit Bangash, email@example.com
Event Ticketing Details
Commencement is scheduled take place outdoors on Healey Lawn and will not be ticketed. However, in the event of inclement weather, Commencement will move indoors to the McDonough Gymnasium. Nursing graduates will be guaranteed four (4) rain tickets for guests. The NursingAcademic Affairs Team will communicate the process for claiming guest tickets in late April.
Senior Convocation and the Baccalaureate Mass are being planned as outdoor events. Outdoor ceremonies will not require tickets.
The following Nursing Commencement-related activities will take place indoors and will be ticketed:
- Tropaia Ceremony (Friday, 5/20, 2:00 p.m.): This ceremony is for Nursing graduating seniors only. Graduates planning to attend will be allotted 3 tickets each for guests. The process for claiming guest tickets will be communicated by Kylie Unger in late April.
- Pinning Ceremony (Friday, 5/20, 4:00 p.m.): This ceremony is for BSN graduating seniors and CNL students who will be graduating in August, 2022. Each BSN and CNL student invited to participate in Nursing’s pinning ceremony will be allotted up to 5 tickets. The process for claiming guest tickets will be communicated by the Department of Professional Nursing Practice.
- Blessing of the Hands Ceremony (Friday, 5/20, 6:30 p.m.): This ceremony is for Nurse-Midwifery/WHNP and WHNP Graduates and Certificate Students who are completing their programs.
Please contact Kylie Unger at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Note: Schedule subject to change
Thursday, May 19, 2022
9:00 a.m. Graduate School Doctoral Hooding Ceremony (DNP and DNAP students), Gaston Hall
2:00 p.m.* Senior Convocation, Healy Lawn (Rain Site: McDonough Arena)
5:00 p.m. Multicultural Family Reception, Copley Formal Lounge
5:00 p.m. Phi Beta Kappa Annual Initiation, Gaston Hall
6:00 p.m. Phi Beta Kappa Reception, ICC Galleria
6:00 p.m. Asian Heritage Ceremony, ICC Auditorium
7:15 p.m. Harambee Ceremony (African-American Heritage Ceremony), ICC Auditorium
Friday, May 20, 2022
7:30 a.m. Army ROTC Commissioning Ceremony, Gaston Hall
9:00 a.m. Army ROTC Pinning Ceremony, Great Room, Healey Family Student Center
10:00 a.m. Social Justice Send-Off Ceremony, ICC Auditorium
11:00 a.m. Social Justice Send-Off Reception, Poulton Hall Courtyard
2:00 p.m. School of Nursing Tropaia Ceremony, Lohrfink Auditorium, Hariri Building
4:00 p.m. Department of Nursing Pinning Ceremony (Nursing Majors and CNL August Graduates only), Lohrfink Auditorium, Hariri Building
6:30 p.m. Department of Nursing Blessing of the Hands (Nurse-Midwifery/WHNP and WHNP Graduates; Certificate Students) Lohrfink Auditorium, Hariri Building
9:00 p.m. Senior Ball
Saturday, May 21, 2022
10:00 a.m. Sigma Theta Tau, Lohrfink Auditorium, Hariri Building (Nursing Majors only)
2:00 p.m.* School of Nursing Commencement (Undergraduate and Graduate), Healy Lawn (Rain site: McDonough Arena)
Commencement Speaker and Honorary Degree Recipient:
3:30 p.m. School of Nursing Reception, Leavey Center Esplanade
Sunday, May 22, 2022
9:00 a.m.* Baccalaureate Mass, Healy Lawn (Rain site: McDonough Arena)
10:45 a.m. Commencement Brunch, Leavey Center Ballroom
* Academic processions for all Commencement ceremonies begin approximately 30 minutes before the posted ceremony time. Guests should be seated before the procession begins.
Cap & Gown Information
Caps, gowns, hoods & tassels are required for graduation. Academic regalia for undergraduate and graduate programs can be purchased in person or online from the Georgetown University bookstore. If seniors have their robe from New Student Convocation, they only have to purchase their cap/tassel and good, otherwise, they should purchase the whole package.
- Select “Graduation Caps & Gowns”
- All Nursing master’s students should select the Masters of Science page. Follow this link.
- All Nursing doctoral students should select “Doctor of Nurse Practitioner complete set.” Regalia set is linked here.
- Select the package that includes the cap, gown, hood and tassel ($98.00 for master’s graduates / $124.00 for doctoral graduates).
- Master’s graduate hoods should be Science Gold, and doctoral (DNP & DNAP) hoods should be Apricot. The blue color shown online is an example only. Your hood should be the appropriate color when you receive your regalia package.
Be sure to select the package that includes the cap, gown, hood and tassel
Requesting Special Accommodations
Complimentary wheelchairs will be available under a specified tent on Healy Circle. If you submit a request for a wheelchair via NHSevents@georgetown.edu or email@example.com and receive confirmation that the request was received, the request will be submitted in advance.
If a request is not submitted by the given deadline, wheelchairs will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Guests borrowing wheelchairs will need to leave a picture ID or license. Guests will be instructed not to take the wheelchairs off-campus. Additional accessibility information will be emailed closer to Commencement.